Chief of Staff with The Health Initiative (THI)
About The Health Initiative
The Health Initiative (THI) seeks a highly driven and experienced Chief of Staff who thrives in the fast-paced context of issue-based campaigns and/or start-up environments, has an excellent track record of supporting senior leaders to deliver results, and is passionate about THI’s aim of catalyzing a new conversation about – and new investments in – the known drivers of health, including healthy food, safe homes, and well-paying jobs.
This is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join a mission-driven organization with the pacing and ethos of a campaign. Founded in 2018, THI is not for profit organization/campaign focused on catalyzing a new, nationwide conversation about investments in health. Specifically, THI's aim is to increase public and private investment in safe homes, healthy food, and well-paying jobs by reframing these issues as central to ensuring a healthy population and a health-based economy.
The U.S. spends ~$11 billion every day on healthcare – even though only ~20% of health outcomes are tied to clinical care. This disconnect is increasingly untenable, especially in the wake of COVID and a national reckoning on racial inequities. Even pre-COVID, 24% of those with commercial health insurance still lacked adequate food, housing, or other basics – driving up healthcare costs. COVID has made this only worse, especially for communities of color.
THI’s theory of change is rooted in effecting a flywheel between cultural and technical change, with a focus on three primary drivers:
- mobilizing broad support for investing in health;
- increasing public and private investments in health;
- ensuring those investments yield healthy food, safe homes, and well-paying jobs in communities.
As instigator and advisor, THI works intensively with public and private healthcare institutions that control billions of dollars and impact millions of lives (health insurers, federal agencies, state departments of health and human services, and foundations) to partner with communities to invest in health, not just healthcare. With THI’s guidance, these institutions make investing in health central to their strategy, business model, and operations – and engage with communities to mobilize and align resources for healthy food, safe homes, and well-paying jobs while building community wealth and addressing historical inequities.
THI co-founders Rebecca Onie and Rocco Perla are national leaders whose careers offer critical insights into and experience with the drivers of health, healthcare delivery, and healthcare policy. Already delivering results nationally, THI has by design maintained a lean infrastructure with seven current employees and contracted financial and other operational support. As THI continues to gain momentum, it anticipates growing by approximately 5-7 THI employees per year over the next few years.
THI is seeking an experienced Chief of Staff to contribute their energy, passion, and skills to further implement critical organizational operations in support of the Co-Founders during a time of rapid growth. This position will report to the Chief Campaign Officer.
About the Position
THI seeks an experienced senior professional to join them as their Chief of Staff. This team member has two primary functions: develop and execute C-Team priorities and processes and act as an extension of the Co-Founders to conduct background and communicate on their behalf. This is an opportunity for a proactive, strategic, and grounded team member to ensure that work coming out of THI meets best in class standards.
The successful candidate will be an exceptionally entrepreneurial and resourceful leader with outstanding relationship-building, communication, strategic thinking, and execution skills. The Chief of Staff's strategic insight and opinions will be valued, so a solid grasp on industry trends and drivers of health (e.g., safe homes, healthy food, and well-paying jobs) will be important. The Chief of Staff will be someone who can extract the key components from high-level discussions and assumes responsibility to implement specific action plans. An unwavering commitment to the mission, sound judgment, integrity, and maturity in all matters will be essential.
The Chief of Staff will work directly with Co-Founders and CCO and will serve as their “right-hand person” as a strategic partner, bridge builder across the organization, and representative internally and externally, as needed. The Chief of Staff will report to the Chief Campaign Officer and will work in close partnership with her on a range of initiatives.
The two functions listed above serve as the critical guideposts for the Chief of Staff. Given the dynamic nature of the organization, the responsibilities below are some examples of how the Chief of Staff may execute those functions.
Executive Office Priorities, Processes, & Planning:
- Proactively jump into the debate and share opinions, working collaboratively across the organization in the development of strategy, goals, and priorities; drive executive strategy implementation and clear barriers to action.
- Ensure that the Co-Founders are informed in a timely manner of all critical issues that require their attention and decision-making; ensure complete and accurate information, as well as a thorough analysis of options.
- Translate organizational priorities into executive priorities annually, quarterly, monthly, weekly, and daily
- Manage day-to-day trade-offs against those priorities
- Build and improve existing processes to support reflection and strategic use of Co-Founder time
- Participate in and provide feedback on organizational planning, prioritization, and processes.
- Leverage technology to support stronger organization-wide communication.
- Filter communication and represent the Co-Founders in key stakeholder meetings when needed.
Manage Executive Office:
- Manage the work of the Executive Office, including the work of two executive assistants
- Lead Executive Office team in setting their own priorities, improvement agenda, and workplan for each quarter
- Continue to develop and live THI’s values and culture exemplified by a commitment to transformative relationships, curiosity, and equity.
- Serve as a senior leader, inspiring and motivating others to engage fully and collaboratively in stewarding and executing the mission and vision of THI.
Relationship Management & Communications:
- Review and edit written materials (e.g., talking points, framing for meetings).
- Revise decks for visual appeal/consistency/accuracy.
- Support as needed on highly time-sensitive, major impact initiatives, including evening or weekend deliverables.
- Ensure responsiveness to time-sensitive inbound requests/communications.
- Develop a sense for key influencers and ensure quick and thorough follow-up.
- Draft/send emails and revise emails from the team for tone/accuracy/efficacy – in the voice of and consistent with the Co-Founder's philosophies.
- Become intimately familiar with key initiatives and can track down data/documents in response to internal or external requests.
- Conduct background research and synthesize content to support proactive and opportunistic work undertaken by the Co-Founders on behalf of the organization
Who We’re Looking For
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- Extensive leadership experience in a for-profit, nonprofit, government agency, political campaign, or consulting firm where the delivery of health via improvements in food, housing, wages, employment, economic development and other drivers are clear. Start-up experience would be especially helpful.
- Prior Chief of Staff experience or similar senior executive who can bring an insightful perspective and a quick grasp of big ideas, especially as it relates to scheduling, workflow, and deliverables. Served as a proxy to senior leaders. Has displayed the ability to think ahead, anticipate what needs to happen, and the expectations leadership will demand from staff.
- Understanding of the health landscape, the drivers, trends, key players and relationships that are valuable to THI.
- Outstanding critical thinking and judgment skills; ability to make well-reasoned decisions, quickly when needed, in support of institutional and leadership's priorities.
- Campaign experience and prioritizing of activities in response to shifts/changes extremely valued. Decisiveness in conflict/high-stakes situations is needed.
- Exceptional data analysis experience and able to spot trends and weave key indicators into discussions/deliverables.
- Experience working closely with senior executive-level leaders; demonstrated maturity and confidence to make decisions, push back and remain professional.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are required; i.e., the ability to communicate effectively verbally and through written correspondence as well as in communicating with individuals in one-on-one situations is critical; knowledge of punctuation, grammar, editing, proofing is expected.
- Outstanding organization skills and the ability to build systems & introduce processes that help organize others.
- Proven track record of developing effective partnerships and collaborations across disparate groups and interests.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy in working with internal and external groups to resolve complex issues.
- Demonstrated track record of meeting and exceeding goals, earning trust, quickly taking on additional responsibilities, and effectively leveraging skills/experiences across an organization.
- Displayed responsiveness to quickly change in direction as required; anticipate how changes will affect activities and get out in front of potential roadblocks.
- Experience working with diverse communities, populations, and staff.
- Strong relationship builder with a positive attitude and the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration.
- Superior time management skills and adept at multitasking while attending to detail in a fast- paced environment with changing priorities. Ability to track details and follow up.
- Solid grasp of capabilities and has implemented technology to assist in cross-organization communications, time management platforms and tools. (i.e.: Microsoft Outlook, Salesforce)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
THI offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary for this position begins at $175,000 and is commensurate with experience. This role is ideally based in MA although mostly remote and we are open to individuals outside of Massachusetts with the right experience and willingness to travel at least 25% of the time. In addition to a competitive salary, THI also offers:
- Full coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous 401K matching and parental leave
- Unlimited sustainable vacation and sick time
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The Health Initiative values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual identity, veteran status or any other status protected by law. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender non-conforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2022
This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group. Please feel free to share with your networks. Reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions.