Growald Climate Fund, Portfolio Manager, Venture
Portfolio Manager| Full Time | Based in Boston, MA with remote possible
Reports to Portfolio Director
About Growald Climate Fund
Growald seeks an experienced Portfolio Manager to support our fast growing Venture portfolio team. We are a high-impact venture global philanthropy fund catalyzing the rapid transition to a clean energy future. We believe that philanthropy plays a key role in nurturing new climate solutions, supporting a vibrant civil society, and promoting objective research and analysis for use by governments and key NGO and foundation partners. www.growaldclimatefund.org
About our Venture Portfolio Team
The Venture Portfolio is a core component of Growald’s strategy, providing seed or early stage funding to a portfolio of nonprofits working to transform the energy sector internationally. Growald provides core, multiyear funding coupled with organizational development and networking support to help promising new organizations thrive and scale. Once scaled, we work with our network of funding partners to scale funding and create a sustainable funding model whereupon we exit.
You love networking and meeting new people and discussing new ideas. You balance being full of ideas with ability to operationalize and execute. You have a deep understanding of the climate and energy field, and where there are opportunities to have increased impact. You are committed to helping nontraditional leaders get identified and access to resources. You have an expertise that can be of assistance to the grantees. You have an entrepreneurial mentality, ideally experience starting and running your own organization. Importantly, you are a team player with integrity, a strong emotional quotient and an ability to nurture high trust relationships.
About the Role
The Portfolio Manager, Venture will help expand and deepen our venture philanthropy portfolio of grantees. The Portfolio Manager works to support the Director, Venture Portfolio identify new organizations to bring in to the portfolio, and supports organizations in the portfolio to scale and achieve outsize impact.
This is a FLSA Full Time Exempt position, reporting to our Director, Venture Portfolio.
- Act as grantee focal point and thematic lead providing strategic guidance and advice on existing grantees
- Help develop the pipeline of prospective grantees and complete due diligence on prospective grantees
- Act as primary point of contact for portfolio of grantees as they move through their grant lifecycle
- Research, draft and project manage strategic memos pertaining to new grantmaking areas
- Contribute to quarterly grants dockets and annual impact report as well as reports to board and partners
- Work with Organizational Development team to provide a full suite of support to the organizations
- Collaborate with grantees on strategy development and networking
- Graduate degree preferred e.g., MBA, MPH, MPP, or other relevant degree
- 5-7 years of experience working in grant making, climate non-profit and/or energy sector
- An area of expertise that is relevant, ie, climate mitigation, energy finance, communications, movements, policy/advocacy
- International experience, particularly in Asia/emerging markets with nonprofit or energy markets and working with multi cultural teams
- Experience with grantmaking or grant receiving organizations and processes
- Previous experience with grantmaking and collective impact models preferred
- Highly strategic and ability to work with others to develop collective strategy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to summarize and present information to various audiences, including NGOs, funders and experts
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Multi lingual preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we recognize the power of a diverse community and strongly encourage applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States. All Growald employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Growald Climate Fund offers competitive salaries annually benchmarked against a thousand other philanthropic nonprofit grantmaking foundations. We're currently finalizing our 2023 salary bands including an internal equity audit, please apply or contact email@example.com to speak with our recruiter about compensation! Benefits include 100% employer paid medical and dental care, generous allowances including professional development, commuter, and work from home, an employer matched retirement plan, 13 holidays, 20-25 days of vacation, and additional paid time off including sick and parental leave. Growald offers flexible working hours, and our location in Brookline (parked in Boston’s backyard) was recently ranked 16th in the top 25 best places in the U.S. for families to live!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions