Clean Yield - Director of Investment Research and Portfolio Manager
Clean Yield is a small investment management firm that uses the tools of investment to promote a more just, inclusive, and sustainable world. Since 1984, we have served progressive investors to meet their financial goals through investments that reflect their values. We build custom portfolios that actively channel dollars to investments that meet Clean Yield’s environmental and social criteria and engage with companies we invest in to push for change in the areas of equity and inclusion, racial justice, climate change, democracy, and reproductive rights. We also direct capital to small and growing companies with outsized impact, as well as to a range of community investment funds. We are committed to the belief that capital can be a force for good. Clean Yield is a certified B Corp and Vermont State Benefit Corp.
Clean Yield seeks to add a Director of Investment Research and Portfolio Manager to our team. This person will become a member of Clean Yield’s senior leadership group. The Director of Investment Research and Portfolio Manager should have strong research and analytical skills with deep experience in portfolio management, equity analysis, ESG research, and company leadership. Experience working directly with high-net-worth individual clients is strongly preferred.
The Director of Investment Research and Portfolio Manager will work closely with the Chief Investment Officer and our ESG Equity Analyst to build and maintain Clean Yield’s list of approved stocks that pass our rigorous ESG screening criteria and quality and valuation disciplines. Over time, this role will become responsible for investment strategy and for maintaining the firm’s model portfolios.
In addition, this person will serve as a portfolio manager for existing client relationships and new clients. Clean Yield prides itself on providing our clients with a very high level of service, including close relationships with their portfolio manager. Treating our clients with the utmost respect, compassion, and humility is essential.
The Director of Investment Research and Portfolio Manager will lead with integrity and provide management support to direct reports through coaching and mentoring. This person will be committed to DEI and identify structures and policies that encourage an inclusive work environment.
- Collaborate with the Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee to maintain and evolve our investment strategy based on macroeconomic factors.
- Synthesize market outlook for investment committee and client communication.
- Evaluate secular economic and sustainability trends and integrate them into this long-term view.
- Maintain model portfolios against which client portfolios are rebalanced.
- Conduct stock-specific research employing Clean Yield’s quality- and value-oriented approach to stock selection and integrate ESG research into this process.
- Conduct sector and industry research to evaluate relative attractiveness of industries and identify investment opportunities.
- Work with existing clients to maintain portfolios reflecting Clean Yield’s model portfolios and customized to client needs.
- Onboard new clients by creating Investment Policy Statements and building customized portfolios.
- Engage with prospective clients.
- Execute portfolio trading.
Leadership & Supervision
- Supervise equity analyst team, including ESG equity analyst and Director of Impact Investing.
- Serve as a member of Clean Yield’s leadership team: help with setting priorities, cultivating company culture, and planning company growth.
- 10+ years’ experience in equity analysis.
- 10+ years’ experience in the ESG industry.
- 5+ years’ experience as portfolio manager for high-net-worth individuals.
- Proven track record of providing effective leadership and managing remote teams.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice issues and alignment with Clean Yield’s mission of using the tools of investing for good.
- The highest level of commitment to fiduciary duty and ethical behavior on our clients’ behalf.
- Registered Investment Advisor
- Clear and concise writing skills.
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office is preferred.
- An understanding of the importance of and a commitment to managing the compliance, security, and privacy concerns involved in working with personal and financial data.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Success working with teams – ideally including remote teams.
Working Hours: Full time.
Reporting Structure: This role will report to the Chief Investment Officer on a day-to-day basis with additional oversight from a firm partner during quarterly check-ins and annual performance reviews.
Compensation: Clean Yield offers competitive salaries and profit-sharing. We are working on making all of our salaries public and transparent. In the meantime, please contact [email protected] to speak with our recruiter about compensation.
We believe that one’s work should contribute to a well-rounded life but should not define it. We offer a range of benefits, including remote work (employees can work from anywhere in the US), flexible scheduling (employees can set their own schedule as long as they are available for a few set meetings a week), generous healthcare and retirement benefits, and a fitness reimbursement program.
Benefits: Clean Yield supports employees with generous benefits. Benefits include:
- 100% employer-covered health insurance, including family coverage
- 401K Plan with 4% employer contribution (employees are not required to contribute)
- Short-term/long-term Disability
- Professional development - Clean Yield may reimburse job-related course work or certification or pay for books or to attend conferences.
- Paid time off - Clean Yield offers 21 days per year of vacation time to full-time employees. This increases to 25 days after 4 years with the organization. Sick days are unlimited and not accrued.
- Paid family leave - Clean Yield offers 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Fitness expense reimbursement up to $1,500 per year
- Paid time off for volunteering
This can be a remote work position; applicants can be based anywhere in the US and must be eligible to work in the US.
Some travel may be required. This will include visiting the Clean Yield office in Norwich, VT (if working remotely) or attending Clean Yield’s periodic staff retreats or industry conferences. We anticipate that travel could be as frequent as 4-6 times per year for 2-3 days each trip. We recognize that travel can present difficulties for some people and are happy to accommodate individual circumstances when possible.
About Clean Yield: Clean Yield is an SEC-registered investment advisory firm working exclusively with social investors. Since our founding in 1984, our goal has been to invest to promote a sustainable society while achieving competitive financial returns. Our hallmark is working closely with our clients to ensure that we are responsive to their unique financial requirements and personal values.
Clean Yield Asset Management is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), family status, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Women and candidates of color are especially encouraged to apply.
We value diversity and strive to be an organization that is both equitable and inclusive. We recognize the harm that our industry, financial services, has caused and continues to cause to Black people and marginalized communities. We are also aware of the ways we have benefited from unearned privilege. We seek to repair these harms and use our influence to deconstruct racist systems. We believe that we can be most successful in our work when more diverse voices and viewpoints are a thriving part of our team. We are actively seeking to build a workplace that includes and values people from traditionally marginalized communities.